Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk faces intense assault
Lysak said explosions were reported in the cities of Dnipro and Pavlograd.
“The region is under a massive attack. Explosions are being heard,” Lysak wrote on Telegram, urging residents to seek shelter.
On Friday, Lysak said two people were killed in overnight Russian attacks.
Since Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Dnipropetrovsk has largely avoided heavy fighting.
However, earlier this week. Kyiv confirmed that Russian troops had entered the region.
Dnipropetrovsk is not one of the five regions claimed by Moscow, unlike Donetsk, Kherson, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia, and Crimea.
https://p.dw.com/p/4zjIL
Welcome to our coverage
Shakeel Sobhan | Sean Sinico
Today’s Ukraine coverage begins with reports that Russia launched what Ukrainians have called a “massive attack” on the central Dnipropetrovsk region early Saturday.
On Friday, after meeting European Union defense and foreign affairs ministers in Copenhagen, top EU diplomat Kaja Kallas described “broad support” for a military training mission inside Ukraine.
Meanwhile, the White House on Friday reiterated President Donald Trump’s hope of getting Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Russian President Vladimir Putin to sit down for ceasefire and peace negotiations, even as French President Emmanuel Macron suggested that Trump may be getting played by his Russian counterpart.
Stay tuned to our blog for the latest news, videos and analyses on Ukraine throughout the day.
https://p.dw.com/p/4zjGa