D74bbdc0 0f9e 11f0 b696 d3bfdfb825fc.jpg

Myanmar military opens fire on Chinese rescue team

Myanmar’s military fired on a Chinese Red Cross convoy carrying earthquake relief supplies on Tuesday.

In eastern Shan State, the Ta’ang National Liberation Army, an armed rebel group, stated that military troops used machine guns to shoot at the nine-vehicle convoy.

Mandalay, a city severely affected by Friday’s magnitude-7.7 earthquake, was the convoy’s destination. No injuries were reported.

Myanmar’s military, which claims to be investigating the event, denies directly targeting the vehicles. It claims that shots were fired into the air after the convoy failed to stop despite instructions to do so.

The Chinese foreign ministry stated on Wednesday that its rescue team and supplies were secure and urged “all factions and parties” in Myanmar to prioritize the earthquake relief efforts.

A civil war between the junta, which seized power in a 2021 coup, and ethnic militias and resistance forces has engulfed Myanmar. The humanitarian crisis has worsened since last week’s earthquake, which has claimed over 2,700 lives, according to the government. The actual death toll is believed to be much higher. Many international aid agencies and foreign governments have provided personnel and supplies in response to the earthquake.

The military spokesperson stated on Wednesday that the convoy was spotted coming from Naungcho township on Tuesday, with vehicles displaying Chinese indicators and Myanmar plates. However, no prior notice of the convoy’s journey had been given.

“We halted the convoy, but it kept moving. We fired from about 200m away, but it didn’t stop,” he stated.

“About 100m away, we fired three shots in the air, after which the vehicles turned back towards Naungcho.”

The Blue Sky Rescue Team from China, which has been providing rescue services in Mandalay with military escort, was not affected, according to the spokesperson.

He added that international agencies must notify the Myanmar government when sending aid.

The TNLA, which was guarding the Red Cross convoy, stated that they had notified the military council about their journey to Mandalay.

After returning to Naungcho, they will continue their journey, the group said.

Rebel groups have declared a ceasefire to assist earthquake relief, but the military has declined to follow suit.

An air strike in Naungcho township on the day following the quake killed seven people.•

“As ethnic armed groups are training for attacks, necessary defense operations will continue,” said junta leader Min Aung Hlaing.

“The UN described the airstrikes as “completely outrageous and unaccept[b5a7d41a-1f56-4907-8f77-51fdf98e9b89]”

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cx2ydkvxdvno

1743595813 4000.jpg

Roblox Provides Parents with Increased Control over Children’s Activities on the Platform | Kids’ Tech

1024x538 cmsv2 91e34edd cbca 5f3a 9fb3 e35ea9efbc2b 9160372.jpg

Wisconsin Supreme Court seat goes to Democrats, marking a defeat for Trump.

Leave a Reply